Monday, January 19, 2009


What Do You Eat?

Making the transition to healthy eating can be, well, challenging. I grew up on meat and potatoes. I did not grow up on smoothies and veggie burgers. It is possible to transition to healthy foods, without compromising taste. You can adjust some of your favorite recipes, by substituting some healthier ingredients. Instead of cow milk (what's wrong with cow's milk you ask, click here.), use rice or almond milk. Instead of white sugar, use evaporated cane juice crystals (right next to the sugar at the grocery store!!), or cane sugar, or honey, or agave. Whole wheat flour instead of white. Buy organic veggies and fruit, (sometimes very close in price.)

Here are some things that we currently are loving. Hope these give you some ideas.

Breakfasts:

Oatmeal (not instant), real oatmeal with cinnamon and honey. Cream of Wheat. SMOOTHIES. Granola. Pancakes with real maple syrup, or fruit topping. Eggs, free range organic is best!
Chocolate milk (try this recipe). Kefir smoothie.

Lunch:

Sandwich ideas: tempeh, sprouts, garlic hummus and avocado, fresh sliced veggies, veganaise. Soup. Salads with romaine lettuce, baby spinach, raw veggies and/or fruit, nuts, or seeds.

Dinner:

TLT sandwiches (tempeh lettuce tomato).
Veggie Burgers (homemade)
Stir Fry with tofu, and rice.
Soups, with bread and salad.
Taco's, meat substitutes, or lentils flavored like taco "meat"
Eggplant/Veggie Lasagna
Spaghetti
Chili, no meat, more beans.
Whole Wheat Pizza (cheese for the kids, veggie supreme for hubby and I)
corn muffins, fociatta, homemade bread, dinner salad, brown rice, quinoa, potatoes.
Beans (black, or re fried pinto) on tortillas, with cheese, lettuce

Snacks:

goat cheese (I make my own, it's sooo easy!), pitted dates and sliced apples, raw nuts, fresh fruit, carrot or veggie juice, fruit juice, guacamole with tortilla chips, hard boiled eggs, popcorn sprinkled with nutritional yeast. Granola.


5 comments:

  1. Hello! This is great! I need to know how to make bread in my bread maker w/out using bread flour. Can I do this? I would also love any bread maker receipes that our tried and true. I hope you are doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rebecca,

    Does your bread need to be gluten free? Wheat free? or what exactly? I may have some recipes for you..

    Staci

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just don't want extra gluten if I don't need it. What are your thoughts? Can I just use organic, unbleached flour? I guess I need a bread lesson!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I figured it out and made a beautiful loaf of bread w/out bread flour. I guess I only thought I needed a bread lesson. Have fun with your new blog!

    ReplyDelete